Redesigning the Thomson Airways website
Thomson Airways is the world’s largest charter airline carrying tens of millions of passengers every year. Their primary booking channel is their website, so it’s imperative that it delivers a fantastic user experience.
I was the lead UX designer for an ambitious redesign of the Thomson Airways website. The redesign covered every part of the website, from search to booking and flight information. Working with a more junior UX designer, a graphic designer, a business analyst, the development team and the product owner I lead and co-ordinated the UX for the entire redesign.
What did I do?
- Carried out an audit of the existing Thomson Airways website to establish key content and user journeys.
- Reviewed competitor sites, focusing on key pages and user journeys.
- Analysed the site analytics to establish user information and to investigate popular tasks and content.
- Carried out online card sorting using OptimalSort to test the proposed information architecture.
- Created an Axure prototype covering key pages and user journeys (e.g. search).
- Carried out multiple rounds of usability testing to evaluate the new design with users.
- Worked with the graphic designer to establish the visual look and feel of the new pages.
- Provided continual usability feedback to the development team during the build stage, including expert usability reviews and user experience sign off for pages.
More case studies
Redesigning a key website for ProQuest – a world leader in collecting, organising, and publishing information for researchers and students.
Designing a new responsive website for Ubisense – a leading provider of enterprise solutions based on location intelligence.
Creating a mockup for a mobile app for recording weight training workouts.
Optimising the user experience of the Thomson and First Choice websites for tablet users.
Leading the UX for a redesign of the Thomson Airways website.
Redesigning the booking process for the First Choice and Thomson websites.
Establishing the user requirements and creating a concept design for a new travel agent selling system.
Gathering user requirements for a redesign of the Cambridge International Examinations website.
Defining the UX vision and designing a concept extranet for assessors.
Redesigning an Extranet site for exams officers and teachers.
A user-centred redesign of a community website for Cambridgeshire county council.
Optimising the checkout user experience and conversion on johnlewis.com.