Designing a concept travel agent IT system
As part of a multi-million pound IT modernisation programme TUI (Europe’s largest tour operator) wanted to update and improve the IT systems used within its 700+ Thomson and First Choice high street shops and numerous call centres. As the lead UX designer for this part of the programme I was tasked with establishing the user requirements for the IT system and with creating a concept design in collaboration with both high street and call centre travel agents. During the project I was managing and mentoring a more junior UX designer and working very closely with the product owner, lead business analyst and numerous retail travel agents.
What did I do?
- Provided user experience guidance and leadership through the project, including helping to set the UX plan and strategy.
- Discovered user insights through numerous shop and call centres visits to observe and speak to retail agents as they went about their day to day tasks.
- Carried out a competitor review of similar travel agent systems.
- Carried out an expert review of the existing TUI retail systems and identified areas for significant improvement.
- Ran collaborative design and requirements gathering workshops to establish and validate user requirements.
- Created and verified personas to be used throughout the project
- Created scenarios, user journeys and storyboards to help establish and communicate the UX vision
- Created an Axure prototype for usability testing and for showcasing the design concept to stakeholders within the organisation.
- Carried out usability testing to evaluate the design concept with retail travel agents.
More case studies
Redesigning a key website for ProQuest – a world leader in collecting, organising, and publishing information for researchers and students.
Designing a new responsive website for Ubisense – a leading provider of enterprise solutions based on location intelligence.
Creating a mockup for a mobile app for recording weight training workouts.
Optimising the user experience of the Thomson and First Choice websites for tablet users.
Leading the UX for a redesign of the Thomson Airways website.
Redesigning the booking process for the First Choice and Thomson websites.
Establishing the user requirements and creating a concept design for a new travel agent selling system.
Gathering user requirements for a redesign of the Cambridge International Examinations website.
Defining the UX vision and designing a concept extranet for assessors.
Redesigning an Extranet site for exams officers and teachers.
A user-centred redesign of a community website for Cambridgeshire county council.
Optimising the checkout user experience and conversion on johnlewis.com.