Redesigning the booking process
Like most travel sites the booking process is the most important user journey on Firstchoice.co.uk and Thomson.co.uk. Not only is it business critical, it’s also very complex, with numerous different options and pages that need to be presented depending on the type of holiday being booked.
I was the lead UX designer for an ambitious redesign of the booking process on both the First Choice and Thomson websites. I was tasked with improving the overall user experience, together with increasing the booking conversion rate and uptake of upsells and cross sells presenting within the booking process.
What did I do?
- Reviewed analytics and feedback for the existing booking process to identify areas for improvement.
- Carried out a competitor review of the booking process on similar travel sites.
- Created user journeys to outline the different pages and options that a user could view.
- Created comprehensive wireframes for the new design.
- Created an Axure prototype for usability testing and for showcasing the new design to stakeholders within the organisation.
- Carried out multiple rounds of face-to-face usability testing to evaluate the design with users.
- Worked with the lead designer to establish the visual look and feel of the new pages.
- Provided continual usability feedback to the development team during the build stage, including expert usability reviews and user experience sign off for pages prior to launch.
More case studies
Redesigning a key website for ProQuest – a world leader in collecting, organising, and publishing information for researchers and students.
Designing a new responsive website for Ubisense – a leading provider of enterprise solutions based on location intelligence.
Creating a mockup for a mobile app for recording weight training workouts.
Optimising the user experience of the Thomson and First Choice websites for tablet users.
Leading the UX for a redesign of the Thomson Airways website.
Redesigning the booking process for the First Choice and Thomson websites.
Establishing the user requirements and creating a concept design for a new travel agent selling system.
Gathering user requirements for a redesign of the Cambridge International Examinations website.
Defining the UX vision and designing a concept extranet for assessors.
Redesigning an Extranet site for exams officers and teachers.
A user-centred redesign of a community website for Cambridgeshire county council.
Optimising the checkout user experience and conversion on johnlewis.com.